Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm getting a late start on this, but I live out in the middle of nowhere and my computer access is very slow and limited. I have had my Mustangs for almost 2 months now and I feel like we have progressed nicely. I received two fillies-one named Miakoda which means Power of the Moon and Halona which means Happy Fortune and one gelding named Traveller. Miakoda is a very large yearling already measuring over 14 1/2 hands, she shows signs of having some kind of draft horse in her. The other two are a little bit smaller. Mia was the first to come around, within two weeks I had her loving people. The other two tested me in ways I have never experienced. Both were very aggressive, using their front hooves as weapons. They both managed to get their halters off 1 week after I brought them home so I wasn't able to do much with them. My parents finally decided to get a little help from a local trainer. Two weeks ago, 7/12, we took all of them to Able Garcia's stables. With his help we were able to get halters on and over the next two weeks I have taken them from wild to willing. They both now lead, tie, and trailer. Mia is still a little ahead of the other two. Mia loves water, I was able to spray her down within a couple of weeks. I have only one problem with Mia and that is she doesn't like to trot or run-too big I guess. She leads, ties, picks up hooves, trailers, bathes, will stand on a podium, but I'm worried about the trotting portion of the in hand class. I am pleased with what I have accomplished up to now.

1 comment:

Karen C. said...

Hi Kirstin, Karen here. Girl, you have your hands full with 3 yearlings! You have taken on quite a challenge, but isn't it fun?

My mustang is Tripp, and he is a 4 yr old gelding. The only time he will trot in hand for me is when we are going thru the yard...other than that, I trot, and he watches from behind! Ha ha!

Keep up the good work and see you in Texas! I hope we can meet while we are there...the schedules we will be on are packed! By the way, we saw Able Garcia last year with Country Deacon...they were wonderful!

Until later...Karen and Tripp